It’s time to review my goals again. Since the time frame of my reviews are similar to a company, I will try releasing this post in the format of a company’s reports. Let me know if you like it!

Portfolio Performance

WGM portfolio returned 16.49% (excl dividends) vs STI ETF’s 4.66% (excl dividends), led by a Q1 recovery. Dividend-wise, portfolio yielded ~0.24% vs 1.74% (STI ETF).

Edit: Portfolio performance at 31 Dec 2018 was 1.28% vs -7.24% (STI ETF), not inclusive of dividends.

Total return WGM portfolio for Q1 2019 is 16.73% vs 6.40% (STI ETF) for an over performance of 10.33%.

Note: Returns are from portfolio inception. 1Q 2019 figures are obtained by subtracting previous performance from total performance.

Over performance in 1Q 2019 compared with the previous update shows an increase of 1 percentage point (10.33% vs 9.23%). Total over performance since inception improved to 19.56%.

All returns calculated on an ROI basis due to the short time frame (<1 year).

1Q 2019 saw an addition and a divestment of the portfolio. The divested counter constitute roughly half of the portfolio’s returns.

Management is actively looking for more opportunities to deploy the freed-up capital.

1Q 2019 performance is on track to hit the long term goal of beating the market by 5% per year over ten years or more.

I divested the counter because it was starting to get overvalued. Even if it doubles, triples, or more, it is out of my control and I stand by my decision of divesting. Any stock can grow overvalued by multiples for illogical reasons. This is not within the scope of my strategy and I will not chase it (for now, may change in the future). Read the bitcoin section in this post.

This quarter has been very good for the portfolio. It looks like it has been a smooth ride up (for the most part), and that makes me slightly worried. Is my portfolio that nicely balanced or is it luck? My bet is on luck.

Goal: Healthier Eating

Average monthly fast food expenditure is $47.28 (vs baseline of $50), average visit is 9.3 (vs baseline of 10). This represents a 10.9% drop in expenditure and 7% drop in visits. Average expenditure per visit is $5.07 vs $5 (baseline).

Overall decrease in fast food expenditure is attributed to a lower number of visits, partially offset by a slight increase in average expenditure (average expenditure per visit increased but total expenditure decreased).

Average ice cream expenditure is $9.20 (vs baseline of $8), average visit is 4 (vs baseline of 4). This represents a 15% increase in expenditure and no change in number of visits. Average expenditure per visit is $2.30 vs $2 (baseline)

Overall increase in ice cream expenditure is attributed to increased expenditure per visit.

Q1 2019 average unhealthy expenditure per month is $56.48 vs $58 (baseline). Average unhealthy visit is 13.3 vs 14 (baseline).

Management is satisfied with the overall decrease in both measures and is aiming for lower numbers next quarter.

I just finished reading Warren Buffet’s biography and noticed that he eats a lot of fast food too! Look out for a book review soon.

Thanks for reading. Let me know if you prefer this method of review.


Tags:
Categorised in: Goal Update

4 thoughts on “1Q 2019 Quarterly Update

  • layers says:

    STI EF YTD is positive how come u got negative

    • Ben says:

      Hi layers,

      Thanks for pointing that out. The graph shows the return since portfolio inception (~Jul 2018).

      STI ETF at 31 Dec 2018 was -7.24% vs -2.58% now, so you’re right, it’s up ~5% YTD.

      I’ve updated the graph description to reflect this.

      Thanks for all your sharing in IN.

      WGM

  • Layers says:

    What is your nick in IN? 🙂

    • Ben says:

      Thanks for asking but not much point sharing… I don’t post or comment, so it just looks like an inactive account from the outside.

  • Leave a Reply